What is shin splints?
“Shin Splints” is a term used to describe pain in the lower leg region, most commonly felt along the front edges of the shin. The medical term for this is Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome- chronic or repeated stress along the shin bone where the muscles attach, causing subsequent microtrauma to this region of the lower leg.
What are the symptoms?
- Pain generally felt at the inner part of the shin bone. This may also be in the outer side of the shin bone, in the shin and/or calf muscles
- Pain will usually worsen during or after physical activity
- Gradual onset over a period of time
What are the causes of shin splints?
- Inappropriate or recent changes in footwear
- Tight calf muscles
- Decreased movement in the ankle
- Poor lower limb mechanics
- Sudden increase in training load
Please contact us on 9301 4711 if you would like to book an appointment or find out more information.
Laura Cruz - http://www.joondalupphysiotherapy.com.au